Day 28th of quarantine and we are about to blow craving for some Bicolano dishes. So I bought some taro leaves and coconut milk and called my momma for an SOS to guide me with her Laing recipe. Sous-chef Kat here we go!~
Mom’s recipes for Bicol dishes are still one of the best for me. Saturdays and Sundays are our family days meaning a bountiful feast will be served by Mother Queen for her damulags hehe. That’s why one of the things I crave when I miss home is my mom’s cooking. But, aren’t we all?
Anyway, I had a lot of time thanks to ECQ. Had to videocall my mom to help me prepare this. Here’s how to make simple Laing dish. Nothing fancy, just hungry~
- Garlic (minced)
- Onion (minced)
- Ginger (chopped to strips)
- Pork (chopped to small cubes)
- Dried Taro leaves
- Coconut Milk
- Saute pork in pan.
- Once pork is fried well, add coconut milk. Here we use Coco Mama fresh which is concentrated so you need a cup or two of water.
- Bring the sauce to boil then add minced garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Cook the sauce for 15 minutes. Add water if need specially if you want more saucy Laing.
- Once the sauce boils, add the dried taro leaves then cook for another 15 minutes. Momma says avoid stirring too much for this will cause the laing to be itchy when eaten. Since this one will be the ‘marurit‘ version of Laing, you need to cook it until the taro leaves absorb the sauce.
- Let it simmer for another 5 minutes and then viola! Laing is done!